Click on each title for more details:
Please call (516) 883-4400, x167 for an appointment to access the collection.
Mackey, James M.
– Receipts and accounts belonging to James Mackey of Long Island, New York. The receipts are for goods including foods, household items, dry goods, lumber, school tuition and supplies, and cash exchanges. 1 box; 1817-1851.
– Maps of Port Washington and surrounding areas, including hand-drawn and printed maps, and atlases. 5 boxes; Map Case folders; c.1745-1991.
– Thirty-seven photographs including scenes of Port Washington, New York. Waterfront scenes, churches, shops, parades, and the Junior Legion Corps of the American Legion are among the Port Washington images. 1 box; ca. 1910-1990.
Martus, Virginia Marshall
– Virginia Martus was born and raised in Port Washington, New York. Her father, Raymond E. Marshall was the founder and owner of A & R Marshall, Inc., a marine service and supply business. The collection includes correspondence, photographs, post cards, clippings and artifacts relating to the history of Port Washington, nautical history, A & R. Marshall, and the work of Virginia Martus. 9 boxes; ca. 1889-2006.
– Approximately 20,000 images (glass and safety negatives, with some prints) from the Mason Studio in Port Washington, New York. Includes portraits of individuals, families and groups, as well as photos of weddings, graduations, communions, parties, local scenes, houses, buildings, land, businesses and restaurants. 32 boxes; ca 1920 – 1975.
– Approximately 500 images of Port Washington, New York from the Mason Studio. These are copy prints made from the copy negatives donated by Hugh Malone. Images include churches, fire departments, hotels, people, schools, street scenes, post cards, and the waterfront. 3 binders and 1 box; ca. 1881-1971.
McKee Store Accounts and Family Papers
– Account records for the McKee store in Port Washington, New York (1894-1915) and information on the McKee family history. TheMcKee family had a store in Port Washington until 1940. 2 boxes; ca. 1870s – 1940s.
McQueen Local Business Collection
– Three handwritten account books documenting two 19th century businesses in Port Washington, New York.Two books were kept by a local weaver, John McQueen, and the other by a local shoemaker, George Remsen. Includes a group of news clippings and loose papers. 1 box; 1806 – 1852.
Meissner, Michael and Sarah Ann
– Deeds, mortgages, indentures, and other legal documents of Michael and Sarah Ann Meissner, and others, primarily concerning land in the Town of North Hempstead (Port Washington), New York. Also contains a Civil War letter from D.S. Johnston concerning camp life. 1 box; 1852-1907.
Merriman Park/Committee to Preserve Recreational Space in Port Washington
– Correspondence, memos, petitions, blueprints, slides, and printed matter documenting community efforts to create a local park at the the site of the Merriman School in Port Washington, New York. 4 boxes and 1 oversized folder; 1927-1980.
Miscellaneous Collections A-Z
– Miscellaneous files are comprised of original documents, printed matter and photographs relating to the history of Port Washington, New York. Subjects and individuals include: African-Americans; Aviation; Albert R. Beatty; Boy Scouts; Covert family; Fire Department; Churches; Gardner Marine; Dill Jones; Military; Emily Ullman. 3 boxes; ca.1750-1995.
Monfort, Burtis H.
– 53 images of Monfort family members and friends, and a few scenes of Port Washington homes. These were copied from the Burtis H. Monfort’s family photographs. 1 box; ca. 1875 – 1925.
Music Study Club of Port Washington
– The Music Study Club, founded in 1919, remains a vibrant cultural component of the Port Washington community. The records include minutes, reports, programs, photographs, and clippings documenting the history of the Club and its activities. 3 boxes, 1921-2007.
Nautical – Books
– This collection of over 200 volumes was donated by the Nautical Advisory Committee of the Port Washington Public Library. The collection, which spans the years 1883-2005, includes monographs, periodicals, and yacht club yearbooks. Subjects cover maritime history, yachting, boating, boat design, and ship building. Of local interest are works on the Long Island Sound, and histories of the local yacht clubs.
Nautical – Miscellaneous
– These collections are comprised of original documents, printed matter and photographs relating to the nautical history of Port Washington, New York and surrounding areas. Subjects and individuals include: Clam boats; Fall River Line Pottery; Nathaniel Herreshoff; Manhasset Bay Yacht Club; Purdy Boat Company; and Victor A. Romagna. 3 boxes and 1 volume; ca. 1923-2003.
North Hempstead Library Association
– This lending library was begun in 1791 by a group of area landowners, who contributed dues to purchase books, which were kept at the home of Dr. Samuel Mitchell. The collection consists of two record books documenting the regulations of the association, minutes, accounts, lists of books, names of subscribers, and expenditures.1 box; 1791-1895.
– The collection is comprised primarily of photographs and glass negatives with prints. Images include the William and Anna Olandt family home at 15 North Maryland Avenue in Port Washington, New York, family members, friends and neighbors, and local firefighters from the Flower Hill Hose Company. Also included are the records of the Epworth League of the First Methodist Episcopal Church in which Mrs. Olandt was active. 2 boxes; ca.1906-1935.
Click here to view Olandt Family Photographs on Flickr.
Petersen, Oscar G.
– Two scrapbooks compiled by Oscar G. Petersen (d.1994) of Port Washington, New York. Includes a scrapbook of articles and photos on local aviation history. The second scrapbook contains photographs and newspapers clippings about Oscar Petersen, and documents pertaining to his father, Peter Petersen. 2 volumes; 1912-1963.
Play Troupe of Port Washington
– The records of the community theatre founded in 1927 in Port Washington, New York. Includes correspondence, scrapbooks, production files, clippings, photographs, slides, scripts, budgets and programs. 10 boxes; ca. 1927 – 2002.
Photography Club of Long Island
– The first meeting of the organization, originally called the Port Washington Camera Club, was held on January 30th 1975. The collection includes correspondence, newsletters, publicity, clippings, exhibition programs and related material documenting the club’s history and activities. 3 boxes; 1975-2008.
Players Club of Port Washington
– Photographs, posters and printed matter documenting the productions of the Players Club of Port Washington, New York. 1 box and 1 oversized poster; ca. 1927-1929.
– Photographs, clippings, reports, posters, and programs documenting the work of this community theatre/choral group, founded in 1945. 4 boxes; 1946-1995.
Port Washington Community Concert Association
– Programs and publicity material pertaining to the Port Washington Community Concert Association, established in 1956 as a local chapter of the national organization, Community Concerts, Inc. 1 box; ca. 1956-1964.
Port Washington Home Guard
– Membership applications and clippings relating to the Port Washington, New York Home Guard, a voluntary organization founded to protect the home front during World War I. 1 box; 1917.
Port Washington Landfill Citizens Advisory Committee
– Records of the Port Washington Landfill Citizens Advisory Committee including correspondence, minutes, reports, landfill monitoring data, printed matter, and photographs reflecting the work of the committee. 5 boxes and 1 oversized folder, 1983-2004.
Port Washington Newspaper and Clipping Collection
– A collection of news items relating to the history of Port Washington, New York. The collection includes photocopies of articles about Port Washington from the Brooklyn Eagle (1898-1951). It also includes newspapers and clippings which cover major events in Port Washington’s history such as the 1938 hurricane and the building of the WEAF transmitter in 1940. 2 boxes and 1 oversized folder; 1863-1978.
Port Washington North Collection
– Correspondence, clippings, photographs, and ephemera primarily related to the 50th Anniversary of the incorporation of the village of Port Washington North in 1982. 1 box; ca. 1959-1983.
Port Washington Photographs – Miscellaneous
– Photographs documenting various aspects of life in Port Washington. Includes buildings, schools, street scenes, waterfront, and other local images and events. 4 albums and 1 box; ca. 1890-2003.
Port Washington Police Department
– Includes photographs of officers and parades, correspondence, printed matter, awards,annual reports, and a thank-you note from J. Edgar Hoover to Police Chief James Salerno. 2 boxes; 1939-1987.
Port Washington Postcards
– Over 250 postcards of Port Washington views, streets and buildings, including Baxter Estates and Homestead, Central Hotel, Chicken Point Club, Cove Inn, Custom House, Execution Lighthouse, First Baptist Church, Hempstead House, Hotel Victoria, the Mill Pond, Plandome Mill, Railroad Station, Shore Road, Town Dock, Webster Avenue, etc. 1 box; ca. 1900 – 1960.
Click here to view Port Washington Postcards on Flickr.
Port Washington Post Office
– Primarily photographs documenting the construction of the Post Office at Main Street and Beacon Hill Road in 1935, and its later addition which was dedicated in 1965. Includes views of Main Street, businesses, automobiles and the Monfort Farm in the background. Also includes dedication programs, a 1947 photograph of an air mail helicopter delivery, and 2 clippings. 1 binder; 1935-1970.
Port Washington Postmaster’s Account Books
– Five account books kept by the postmaster at Port Washington, New York. Categories of accounts include daily sales of stamps, receipts and disbursements, unclaimed matter, and postal inventory. 1 box; 1901-1907.
Port Washington Public Library
– The Port Washington Public Library was founded as a cooperative book club in 1892 by the Port Washington Woman’s Club. The records include accession books, annual reports, ledgers, budget information, minutes, correspondence, circulation statistics, alphabetical files, clippings, photographs, printed matter and artifacts pertaining to the history of the library. 33 boxes and 9 volumes; ca. 1892-2005.
Port Washington Schools / Faiella Collection
– Includes school budgets, registers of attendance, lesson plan books, a handwritten school census, minutes, miscellaneous reports and newsletters, photographs of students, teachers and classroom interiors. 14 boxes; 1868-2008.
Port Washington Symphony Orchestra
– Posters and recordings of the Port Washington Symphony Orchestra (formerly known as the Port Washington Community Orchestra). Founded in the 1950’s, the orchestra performed at the Port Washington High School. 7 posters and 13 record albums; 1952-1958.
Port Washington Telephone Directories
— Collection of local telephone books dating from 1924-1956.