Elly Shodell, Director
The Oral History Program was founded in 1980 at the Port Washington Public Library to capture on tape the memories of those men and women who have shaped Port Washington’s history, and to preserve that memory for future generations.
The Oral History Collection now holds more than 200 interviews and 8,000 pages of transcript, each indexed and summarized. View names and catalog records listed by theme:
- African American families
- Aviation history and folk traditions
- Gold Coast Estate Workers
- Main Street School
- Medical Professionals
- The Port Washington Business Community
- Port Washington History
- Port Washington Public Library History
- Port Washington Play Troupe
Work on new projects is ongoing.
Oral History Publications available for purchase
Sally Olds interviews Dr. Charles Rogers and Dr. Maurice Teitel, 2002.
Emmy Caras and Dr. Charles Rogers, 2002.