The PWPL now has two 3D printers available for use in the Computer Center on the 2nd floor, a Makerbot Replicator filament-based printer and a Form 2 resin-based printer. Our 3D printers were made possible through generous support from the Friends of the Port Washington Public Library.
For information on how to print, see the tutorials below, e-mail 3DPrinter@pwpl.org or call the computer center at (516)883-4400 x1900 to set up an appointment for a printing demo.
MakerBot 3D Printer Information:
- 5th Generation MakerBot Replicator
- Extruder+ Installed
- PLA Filament Available for Use
- Build plate dimensions: 25.2 cm wide, 15.0 cm high, and 19.9 cm deep (or 9.9 in. wide, 5.9 in. high, and 7.8 in. deep)
- All objects must be sized to fit in this build plate
Resin Printer Information:
- Form 2 resin-based printer
- 4 colors of resin available for use
- Tough resin available for use for objects that need to be able to withstand more force/pressure
- Build plate dimensions: 14.5 cm wide, 17.5 cm high, and 14.5 cm deep (or 5.7 in. wide, 6.9 in. high, and 5.7 in. deep)
- Filament printing: $1.00 per hour of printing charged in 15 minute increments — Example: A print job taking 1 hour and 15 minutes would cost $1.25
- Resin printing: $1.50 per 10 ml of standard resin used or $1.75 per 10 ml of tough resin
- Total amount to be paid upon pickup of print job.
- Funds will be deducted from library or print card balance.
Websites we recommend:
- Thingiverse – Find designs that are ready to print here.
- Tinkercad – Create 3D Printable objects using simple shapes
- MakerBot – Homepage for the creator of our 3D Printer and a place to download free print-prep software
Recommended Videos Accessible via Linkedin Learning (sign in with PWPL Library Card Number and PIN):
- Up and Running with 3D Printing
- Welcome and Getting Started with 3D Printing