Enter your information below on Sunday, May 2nd to win the following prizes:
– Official PWPL Earth Day T-shirt ($15 value) – Town of North Hempstead Rain Barrel ($50 value)
– Town of North Hempstead Composter ($50 value) – $50 Gift Card from Bayles Garden Center & Nursery
– $50 Gift Card from Port Washington Florist and Gifts – $50 Gift Card from S.F. Falconer Florist – Bridges Pottery Mug ($45 Value)
We are creating a video montage (or “Tribute”) for Earth Day at the Port Washington Public Library. It will only take you a minute to film and submit your video and your responses will be cataloged in our local history archive as well as forwarded along to local legislators.
- What recent activities or actions have you or your family done to reduce your carbon footprint or your environmental impact? For example, walking or biking instead of driving, choosing a more sustainable plant-based diet, avoiding single-use items in favor of reusable items. Let us know how you are making Earth Day every day?
- What environmental law would you pass if you had the power to do so?
Sunday, May 2nd from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM at the John Phillip Sousa Memorial Bandshell in Sunset Park.
PWPL’s resident musicologist and Media Librarian Tony Traguardo will lead a band of local musicians in a swinging two-hour concert of well-known rock and roll songs all with “a message about the earth and conservation.” This concert is free to the public. Dancing is highly encouraged. This event will not be live-streamed.
The Library will be giving away complimentary protective face masks, reusable bags, wipes, hand sanitizer, raffles, giveaways and other surprises (while supplies last). We will be collaborating with Plant A Row for the Hungry Port Washington and ReWild Long Island to raise awareness about native plants and the benefits of vegetable gardening. Library staff and volunteers will continually monitor Sunset Park to ensure attendees are practicing social distancing and wearing face masks correctly. Sponsored by the Friends of the Library, the concert is free to the public and more information may be found at www.PWPL.org/earthday
- 4/15/2021: Third Thursday at Three with Alice Schwarz – The Landscapes of Frederic Edwin Church
- 4/19/2021: [Kids Event] Grow Your Own Microgreens
- 4/22/2021: [Kids Event] Earth Day: Craft to Go
- 4/22/2021: [Kids Event] First, Second, & Third Grade Book Discussion: Mario and the Hole in the Sky by Elizabeth Rusch
- 4/26/2021:Art Talk with Professor Thomas Germano – Earth Art
- 4/28/2021: Know Better, Do Better Series – Part Two – Recycling 101