The Port Washington Public Library welcomes all patrons to use and enjoy to the fullest the facilities of the Library. Accordingly, the Board of Trustees has adopted the following regulations:
- Any behavior contrary to law is prohibited.
- Illegal drugs and weapons are prohibited from the Library building and grounds.
- Damage or destruction of Library property or the property of other patrons is prohibited. Mutilating, defacing or otherwise damaging Library materials by underlining, highlighting, removing pages or portions of pages, removing book bindings or electronic theft devices is prohibited.
- Patrons must be engaged in activities associated with the use of a public library. Patrons not reading, writing, studying, researching, using Library materials, attending programs, or engaging in quiet contemplation associated with these activities will be asked to leave the building.
- Patrons must respect the rights of other patrons to use the Library for its proper purposes. Patrons must not behave in a manner that disrupts other patrons’ lawful use of the Library. The Library also prohibits patron behavior that interferes with staff members’ performance of their duties.
- Unnecessary noise, including loud talking, cell phone usage, and the playing of audio or video equipment, is prohibited.
- Staring at, or following, a patron or staff member in a manner that reasonably can be expected to disturb him or her is prohibited.
- Children under the age of ten (10) are not allowed in the Library without adult supervision. Proper adult supervision means that the child is within eyesight of his or her parent or caregiver.
- The children’s area is intended for use by children and their parents and caregivers. Library staff will ask adults not requiring immediate access to children’s materials to relocate to another area of the Library.
- Patrons will be required to leave the building if their upper or lower bodies are unclothed. Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Patrons whose bodily hygiene is so offensive as to constitute a nuisance will be asked to leave the Library.
- No bathing. shaving, washing clothes or other misuse of Library restrooms or water fountains.
- Food and beverages are prohibited except in designated areas and/or when served with prior approval of the Library. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted except during Library sponsored events.
- There is no smoking/vaping on Library property.
- Use of furniture, floors, or stairways in a manner that hinders access by other patrons, is unsafe, or could damage Library property is forbidden.
- Running, skateboarding, rollerblading, and other forms of boisterous behavior on Library property is prohibited.
- No soliciting, petitioning, or distributing materials in the building or on Library grounds without prior Library permission.
- Pets may not be brought into the Library with the exception of service animals as defined by applicable law.
- Patrons may not enter unauthorized areas of the Library or remain in the Library after closing or during emergency evacuations or drills.
- Library staff may inspect briefcases, handbags and other personal belongings or packages to assure compliance with Library policies.
The above rules are not intended to be a complete list of violations, but are intended for guidance only. The Library Board, the Library Director and Library staff reserve the right to take appropriate actions against any other behavior which can reasonably be deemed to be offensive or disturbing to Library patrons.
The primary responsibility for insuring compliance with these regulations rests with the guards employed by the Library. The guards, and other staff members, are authorized to expel persons who, advised of the regulations above, fail to comply with them.
Misconduct or misuse of Library property on the part of juveniles will be reported to their parents. The Library will seek restitution for damage to Library property or materials from those responsible. Breaches of conduct and misuse of Library property are grounds for denial or revocation of Library privileges. Any patron whose privileges have been denied or revoked shall have a right to appeal to the Board of Trustees of the Port Washington Public Library, or to a Hearing Officer designated by the Board of Trustees. The findings and recommendations of the Hearing Officer shall be referred to the Board of Trustees for review and decision. The appeal must be filed within ten (10) days of the date that the patron is notified that the patron’s privileges have been revoked. The decision of the Board shall be final and conclusive.
The enumeration of the above rules shall not be deemed to be a complete list of violations. The rules are intended for guidance only. The Library Board, the Library Director and the Library Staff reserve the right to take appropriate actions against any other behavior which can reasonably be deemed to be offensive to Library patrons.
Approved by the Board of Trustees