To use the Roku at home, you will need a TV with an HDMI port and broadband internet with a strong wi-fi signal. You will need to know the password for your wi-fi network. The Roku can be powered by either a USB port on your TV or a nearby wall outlet using the AC adapter.
Pictured: an HDMI port (inside the red box).
Roku streaming sticks are available to PWPL cardholders. Ask for one at the Information Desk – they are first-come, first-served with no reserves. They are loaned for one week with no renewals. The box contains the Roku stick, a remote, a cable, extension cable, and an AC adapter. All pieces must be returned in the case. The late fee is $1 per day. Replacement fees if items are missing or damaged are as follows: Roku stick: $50, remote control: $20, cable and/or AC adapter: $10. You may not attempt to add channels to the Roku or purchase or rent titles through the VUDU account. The device must be returned in the same condition and with the same configuration and content as when it was loaned.
- Plug the smaller connector on the cable into the end of the Roku stick.
- Plug the Roku stick into the HDMI port on your TV.
- If you have a USB port on your TV, plug the other end of the cable into it. If you don’t, plug that end of the cable into the AC adapter, and plug that into a wall outlet or surge protector.
- Turn on your TV and set the “source” or “input” to HDMI.
- The Roku will turn on automatically. Once started it should ask you to choose a wi-fi network. Select your network and enter your password if you have one. If the choice of networks does not appear automatically, select “Settings” on the Roku homepage, then “Network,” and choose yours. If the Roku does not see your network, this is most likely an issue with your wi-fi signal. Unfortunately, the Library is unable to assist with wi-fi troubleshooting or repair.
- Once connected, you will see the Roku home screen, which displays available channels. The only available channel is VUDU. Select it and you will be taken to the Library’s VUDU account.
- Once in VUDU, scroll to “My VUDU” on the menu bar on top of the screen. Then select “Movies and TV Shows.”
- All available items will now appear on the screen. Select one and enjoy! You may watch as many as you like during your loan period.
- Please be sure to return all pieces – stick, remote, cable, extension cable, and AC adapter – to the Library.